Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Moonlight. Crickets.

Geez. My sleep schedule's messed up again.

I'm such a night worker that I get turned around sometimes, and I'm pretty well turned around. Again.

Anyway....

Completely random entry from the Guinness Book of Records:


LONGEST LEASE.

There is a lease concerning the plot for a sewage tank adjoining Columb Barracks, Mullingar, Ireland, which was signed on 3 Dec 1868 for 10 MILLION YEARS.

It is to be assumed that a future civil servant will bring up the matter for review early in A.D. 10,001,868.


Wow! That's pretty ridiculous!

Like I said, I just opened to it at random. I think I'll keep doing that for this here blogamajig.

I met with Allison Reece on Saturday, an old friend from Webster. She started working at the Missouri chapter of the Lupus Foundation this past June. We talked about the possibility of me putting on a benefit concert for them.

She sent me an e-mail several weeks ago just updating me on what's been happening, including the new job at the Lupus Foundation.

I wrote back saying "Hey, maybe there's a benefit concert or something in the future, but, I'll let you know if I come up with anything worth doing." I was thinking about scheming together some more complex endeavor. Possibly.

But she wrote back with a lot more interest in something I just threw out there than I would've expected.

She was at my first full-fledged solo concert on 1.20.03. [cool date, eh? I put it like that on the front of the programs] I guess she can clearly see how it could work because she's seen one of the shows.

Turns out that when the idea was thrown out there, they had just decided against a Spring benefit event and were looking for ideas. So, the timing appears to be perfect.

This is something that's just on the drawing board right now, but Allison's going to pitch it to her boss and she says she thinks it'll happen. WE'LL SEE, THOUGH. Nothing's been committed to or anything like that.

Lupus is pretty crazy. For some reason, your immune system decides to attack healthy parts of you as if they were enemy organisms and foreign bodies. The bad news is that they still don't know why it happens, BUT, the very good news is that if it is diagnosed relatively early, there's an 80 to 90% chance of a long and full life. It's still fairly difficult to diagnose, though.

Just like probably all diseases and ailments without cures, the puzzle will be solved, it's just a matter of time. The sooner the better, though, of course, so, on with the money.

Curious about lupus? http://www.lupusmo.org

St. Louis is 18th or 19th in overall size in America, but it's 10th in charitable giving.

That means that giving is a priority among many of the major organizations in St. Louis. With the right media and marketing approach (they apparently have great ease in getting the major media outlets to cover them), this could be a good little piggybank to give to the organization, as well as some pretty special exposure for me.

It would be great to really pack 'em in or whatever, but I wouldn't expect that seeing as how mine's not a 'popular' art, from a sheer numbers perspective. Allison told me from the outset, though, that they wouldn't even be too concerned about that. They'd be more excited about having the cause associated with new people. It's good for public awareness and etc.

That notwithstanding, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to make a multi-act show out of this, just for the sake of trying to draw people. There's some well-known jazz musicians, classical musicians, and others in St. Louis. [of course, I didn't mention 'pop', but there actually is a large contingency for jazz and classical music in St. Louis. I'm not ruling out pop acts, though}

The problem with that is that I would tend to throw off any semblance of balance in a program without reeeeeeally careful attention to detail in terms of who'd be on the program, and when. I'm just not quite doing something anyone else is doing.

So, I'm leaning towards a solo thing...but I'm still thinking about it. My mother mentioned the possibility of having three distinct acts. That kind of sticks in my mind.

But, I don't know. If this thing ends up happening and I had to decide today, I'd definitely do it alone.

Also on Saturday, I wrote a short story. It's pretty bizarre, but it was fun to write. Maybe I'll post it soon.


.....anyone still think a 12-month lease is unreasonable?





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home