Sunday, July 24, 2005

invisible heat and self-documentaries

I took a walk the other night at 2 am. It was 84 DEGREES, and weather.com said it felt like 91.

Isn't that ridiculous? Imagine what it was like during the DAY...especially b/c I can't describe it for you: I didn't venture out at all during the day.

Who needs a durned oven when you've got St. Louis in July? All you have to do is give up cooking 11 months out of the year...and visit St. Louis for a month if you don't live there.

In February of 2004, my good friend Todd came up with the idea of making some kind of documentary about me and the music. I've talked about this here.

What kind of documentary? How long, etc.? Don't know, but it seems to me that if I'm serious about it, I could get a camera and just shoot for as long as it seems necessary, and then, when the time seems right, start editing it.

Why? Well, good question. Todd was thinking more in promotional terms, I think, when he brought the idea to me. I'm thinking in more artistic terms, which I know must come as a great shock. [hardeharhar] However, I don't think Todd was thinking stricly in terms of promotion. He had some artistic thoughts about it as well.

I want to do it for the sake of making something interesting and worthwhile. I mean, I'd love to not only see on-the-scene documentaries of all of the people I take some type of interest in, but to see those people take some part in the MAKING of those documentaries. It would be personal, and certainly quite enlightening.

I have some ideas about deviating from the standard documentary in some ways...

Also, think about how great it would be if you could make a long-term documentary of yourself or someone else. One year? Two? Three? Five? How interesting and fun would it be to have a film that not only documents part of your life, but does so in the way that YOU see fit?

So I've started doing a little research on cameras. A rather tedious process. Todd definitely knows more about cameras then I do, and I'll try to call him later today about that. I've got my eye on one camera in particular at the moment, but that could change for a variety of reasons.

I think I'm going to take a walk. It's 1:45am. Another one of those good ol' St. Louis phantom sun walks.