Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A LOT TO WRITE ABOUT.

Just thought I'd firmly establish that upfront.

Well, here I am. It's 3am, and I'm in the computer lab watching old British PSAs and commercials.

Yes. Not just old PSAs and commercials. British PSAs and commercials.

It's part of a site I stumbled on a couple months ago: http://www.tv-ark.org.uk. I find myself very entertained by it. I actually really enjoy this stuff. Why? I don't rightly know.

Other than that, it's been my first quiet week since the concert. You see, the concert was enough work for me to take a month off. I actually thought I had three solid weeks of rest before Opera Theatre started up. But, as fate would have it, my responsibilites were different, and greater, than were originally planned, and I snuck in about a week and a half of relative rest before I found myself back at the Opera for the third year, in my third different job.

And, it was pretty difficult. Fortunately, I was friends with my boss, which was good, but rarely did I know what I'd be asked to do on a given day, and at times I wouldn't be given particularly adequate instructions on how to do it. For me, having a littany of directions read off to you the second you have to go perform a task, the same second you've learned you even HAD a task, is very disconcerting. But, that's just the nature of the job. I could go on for longer, but I won't. Goods and not-so-goods, like most jobs.

My last day was Thursday, June 30th. That Saturday, we learned about Deenie's passing in Nashville. We were already planning on driving to Champaign to pick up my brother, Matt, and then to Washington DC for the wedding of another of my cousins. But the funeral was right before the wedding.

So, last Tuesday, we drove to Champaign from St. Louis, picked up my brother [a three hour trip], drove to Nashville from Champaign [a 5-hour trip]. Stayed in Nashville from Tuesday night to Thursday morning.

Left for DC Thursday morning, got there late Thursday night. Stayed there until Saturday morning. Drove from DC to outside of Indianapolis, stayed there overnight [to cut the trip back in to manageable halves], drove to Champaign, dropped off my brother, and then, back to St. Louis.

Funeral: I'm not sure you can know true grief without experiencing something comprable. Wedding: fun.

Around 2,000 miles, and probably 28 hours of rest on the average for the entire trip for everyone. Phew. I enjoy traveling, though, in spite of the various stressers, and it's always great to meet up with the family. So, since I've been back, I've read "The Secret Man", watched movies, listened to music, written some music, etc.

There's a LOT in the pipeline that I'll have to write about later. Remember that album thing I was talking about?? Well, there's that, and much more. Hope all is well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home