Tuesday, March 15, 2005

the ax

OK. I want to have 6 or 7 brand new pieces for the April 14th concert. I only have two finished so far, but I have 4 others in progress.

Well, not anymore.

"Dance of Ambivalence" and "Innuendo" are getting the ax.

I don't think they're good enough right now. So, goodbye.

Actually, that's much more harsh than the reality. What's really happening is that they're going back into the 'file cabinet', so to speak, definitely to be looked over again at a later date.

"Innuendo" was a pivotal piece for me back in 1999 and 2000 when I was starting to find my compositional voice. It was originally intended for a piano-bass-drums group, and I have a rendering of it with my keyboard that's pretty darned nifty. Some people immediately respond quite positively when they just hear the first couple seconds of it, believe it or not.

Amongst some of my friends, it actually has a pretty special place among my pieces. BUT...I don't know...as much as I'd like to make it a solo piece, it just doesn't seem to quite work. Almost, but, not quite.

It's come out of the 'file cabinet' several times.

We'll see, though. There's an outside chance it'll come back out before April 14th for further consideration.

"Dance of Ambivalence" just isn't that strong, I don't think. Elements of it are, but not altogether. So, rather painfully, I had to put that one aside, too.

Furthermore, I'm not so sure about "King of Hearts", either. It's definitely got a ton of potential, but I'm having a heck of a time giving the strong elements a good enough structure. It's also somewhat similar to another piece on the program, in some respects. Not really, though, but I can tell.

HOWEVER, the good news is that in the midst of the pretty low moment in which I'd come to the realization of two less almost-finished pieces than I thought I had, and maybe even three, I forced myself to just start playing and improvising with the tape recorder on, and I've come up with something VERY promising. This could very well mean that I'm already back up to 2 potentially brand new pieces for the program to add to "It Begins Again" and "House of Doubt" as 'all-new' Kenny stuff.

Blah blah blah. I think I expended a lot of energy just in that fairly short time span of axing and creating, b/c I feel REALLY spent now. The kind of spent when you've been studying for four fours, or something ridiculous like that. I don't get that kind of spent very much anymore.

Maybe I'll just go home. Call it a night and go back to the writing studio in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home