Monday, January 31, 2005

it's time for the end OF time.

OK, so I'm kidding, but it looks funny and ominous.

It's 5:06am as I type this sentance. I'm at Webster, and it was probably only a half-hour ago that I thought there was no chance I'd be on track to have a piece finished for the student recital this Thursday.

Well, I just might have been wrong. I have a piece that I started in December of '03 which has shown a tremendous amount of promise [according to most people I've played the beginnings of it for], but just hasn't been fully realized as a complete work yet. I've come back to it over and over again these last thirteen months, and, while some would say this is the most unlucky month in the sequence, I just may be able to finish it over the next couple of days and play for the recital on Thursday.

I have to let the office know by 4:30 today, however, so, I'll see how much more progress I can make on it today, and commit or not to the recital by then.

Oh yeah, the piece is called "King of Hearts".

I got to hang out with Aaron Feldman on Friday night for the first time since last Fall. We've been friends since grade school...probably third grade or so. He wanted to see a movie, but I'm rarely interested in what's playing these days.

So, we ended up renting the first disc of the first season box set of The Sopranos. I've heard so much about the show since it's been on, and I'd never seen ANY of it. So much praise all over the place. I think it's won about 682 Emmy Awards.

I'm into drama, too...well, actually the entertainment kind, and the life kind. Drama seems to follow me around...the life kind...

ANYway, I've always liked some of the more intense, dramatic movies, and I really like NYPD Blue, and some of the more dramatic plays as well. I've even been known to enjoy reading a Samuel Beckett play on occasion. [Incidentally, I'm not too sure you've seen the best TV drama of our era if you haven't seen the 1984 TV movie version of the Broadway revival of Death of a Salesman, with Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich. See it, see it, see it (if you like drama). Most video stores and libraries have it.]

So, we watched all four shows on the disc, and I do enjoy it. It's basically placing the mafia into TODAY'S context, which you don't see very much of. The main character is Tony Soprano, and there's some character detail there that you've never seen before in a Mafia heavyweight-type [if you don't count to more overtly comedic effect in "Analyze This"].

I guess I was expecting to be more overtly blown away by it, but I'd say it's a very well-crafted, engaging, interesting show, and I do want to see more.

The librarian at my mother's school is retiring, and she's an usher at the Sheldon [a concert hall here in St. Louis]. She asked my mother to give her one of my tapes so that she could show the people at the Sheldon b/c she wants to schedule me there for a Tuesday night concert, followed by a dinner, for her retirement.

I don't know if it will actually work out, but, wow! Talk about an opportunity out of nowhere. The Sheldon is basically The Place in St. Louis for interesting music. It has world-renowned acoustics and etc.

If I get to do it, it won't be for months after the Xavier concert. APRIL 14TH. 7:30pm. ST. FRANCIS XAVIER COLLEGE CHURCH. AT THE CORNER OF LINDELL AND GRAND ON THE WAY TO FOX THEATRE AND POWELL HALL. BENEFITS THE LUPUS FOUNDATION!!!

Price? Don't know yet. That's what we're hopefully going to work out on Tuesday afternoon. I'm scheduled to meet with my friend, Allison, and Paula Kanyo, the director of the Missouri Lupus Foundation, to work that kind of stuff out.

Alrighty. Oop! I just remembered! It's technically Monday now, so there might be a new Strong Bad E-mail. http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html.

Well...no, at least not yet. There wasn't anything new last week, either, so...

But it's not like I'm one to talk. I was planning on playing something new last week myself.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home