Thursday, January 20, 2005

It was 2 years ago today

January 20th, 2003 was my very first full-length concert.

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I did play a couple full-fledged rock guitar-type concerts for a youth group when I was younger...once when I was 13, and again when I was 16.

The concert was also at the Thompson House at Webster, and it is also where I just performed a new piece in the first recital of the new semester. You see, every Thursday at noon, there is a student recital, where students can sign up to perform things that they're working on or whatever.

So, today was the first one. Also, there was no one else signed up to perform. It was only me.

Dr. Parkinson, the chair of the department, gave a speech before me. Just a motivational kind of speech. It went on for more than 15 minutes, though.

Then, I came out and played a finished, but still rough, version of my piece "It Begins Again". I performed it generally well, though it wasn't PERFECTLY comfortable all the way through.

At one particularly fast and frenzied part, I heard people laughing in the audience, as if to say "Holy crap, what is he doing?!"

The piece ended pretty quickly, too. It's shorter than I thought it was, at least in this beginning incarnation.

And, then, I immediately left, which is what I always do if it's a Thursday recital. I don't like to forced to receive feedback by simply remaining there after I'm done. So, like I always do, I took a long walk.

It apparently went over very well. Doing this music is pretty insane sometimes. It's pretty hard to describe. Performing it in concert, i.e., interacting with the rest of the world with it, creates a really interesting energy that I can't quite put into words. I rarely know for sure how my message is interpreted.

It seems that so often, my interactions with people in general are heightened, dramatic...

Whoa! Subject for another time, I suppose, though it does relate to the music in this way as well.

So, my first concert was two years ago today. What an interesting time. Everything that could've gone wrong before the concert did. The mic I was going to use for my guitar was not working. When I went to a friend's studio downtown, I left a borrowed amp there, worried that I'd left it outside on the sidewalk!! When I got my hair cut, I couldn't find my wallet after and thought I'd left it on top of my car (it was in my car under the seat). The power went out before the concert and DURING the opening piece.

But, it ended up being a pretty monumental evening for me anyway. I was happy with my performance, and the reception from the audience was pretty neat.

Such a strange journey.


1 Comments:

Blogger grace said...

hey, i just got an email to my account from your comment... its funny to me that the only way to reply to your comment is to post a comment on your blog since you leave no email addresses on any of your materials. is that on purpose? :) if you send me an email, then i can reply "non-publically" unless of course, you are trying to be an evasive, ever-elusive musician ;o)

congrats on your performance, btw.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home