Saturday, January 08, 2005

A white day.

It is decidely white today. Snow on the ground, and a truly white sky.

Well, "Drood" ended on New Year's Eve, and I actually have a story about that.

But before I get to that, I gave Drood's male lead, a wonderful singer/actor named Michael Halling, a copy of my video about a week before the end of the run.

He took a little time to get to it, and then, one day, he came up to me, shook my hand, and said:

"You're a genius. I had no idea."

It's funny. I've gotten similar comments on occaision before, i.e., someone expressing some kind of suprise based in part on not expecting me to be a serious artist, or something like that.

While I find that to be a little quizzical, I like it (even though I've only heard a comment like this maybe a couple of times). There's definitely no shortage of people who put on airs or act in a way that they feel is more of an indication of who they are as an 'artist', or, in other cases, as an 'intellectual', or what-have-you.

He went on to call me a virtuoso and an original as well.

I never know how what I do might reach someone, so, it's always a bit of a suprise to get comments such as these.

Also, I thanked him for taking the time to watch the video b/c it can be really difficult to just get people to take a look.

This, actually, ties into the last night of Drood:

You see, on the last night of the show, everybody on the crews start taking some of the stuff down, putting stuff away, etc. I was supposed to put music stand lights away and help the orchestra pack up some of their stuff.

In the process of going back and forth with various items, I walk past the cast, who has gathered around someone in a black suit who looks familiar...

It was Rupert Holmes! The creator of the show!

Holmes was a pop star in the 70s. He had a song called "The Pina Colada Song", I think, which was No. 1. He's written mystery books which have won awards and has also written for TV.

Immediately, I realized that if I just ran and got the video out of my car, I could grab either Michael or Becca (who I talk about in a previous entry, and who's also seen this video) and ask that I be introduced to Holmes. Not for any particular outcome, but just because you can't really know what such contacts can mean and etc.

BUT, you see, I was supposed to be working!

So, I had no choice but to return to my post (and people did notice that I wasn't there) and pack stuff up.

It was a difficult moment for me b/c rather than meeting famous people, I was listening to a bunch of college kinds talk aout how drunk they were going to get. Fortunately, I didn't let anyone in on what was going on with me.

I tried to catch Holmes after I had a moment to do so, but he'd already left.

HOWEVER, his people seem pretty prompt and responsive. He was also very pleased with the production and met all of the actors. I'm going to quote the actors and e-mail his people and see how receptive they are. They may very well be.

But since then, I've basically been unwinding. I bought Tom Green's autobiography, and I've already finished it. He had a show on MTV and is a comedian of sorts. Yeah, he does some pretty bizarre stuff, but the stuff I've always favored is really clever and theatrical (which is what some people don't know about).

It's actually quite suprising the amount of turmoil he's been through. It's always enlightening on a number of levels to find out more about the artists and performers I admire. In terms of autobiographies and memoirs, I haven't read very many yet. I read playwright Neil Simon's two memoirs (and I'm not even a die-hard fan of his, though I did perform in one of his one-acts for Forensics in high school), most of Quincy Jones', and now Tom Green. There's many more out there, I know, and I'm going to have to read some of them, b/c it's always very rewarding.

In fact, I'd definitely encourage you to do the same. I'm always trying to learn more about the things that I like, and it's always fun and enlightening.

This looks to be an exciting day b/c I'll be taking my friend Allison, who's the program coordinator at the Missouri Chapter of the Lupus Foundation, up to see St. Francis Xavier Church. She just needs to get a general idea of what this concert will be and etc. Her boss already knows the church and is apparently excited about it.

Yup, all I need for a concert is one historically beautiful church from the late 19th century and a $120,000 piano. That's all. Nothing serious.

Anyway, that's all for now!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home