Wednesday, November 03, 2004

great last couple of weeks for St. Louis

OH yeah.

Let the good times ROLL, St. Louis...

into your PIT of neverending DESPAIR.

Yes, I am, honestly, being purposely melodramatic. It really didn't upset me that the Cardinals not only lost in the World Series, but were swept, and didn't play like they did during the season (in which they were clearly the best team in baseball). It was pretty easy for me to not get sucked into having actual weighty emotions about a sport.

BUZZZZZ! BUZZZZZ! POLITICS AHEAD! CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!

Now, seeing John Kerry lose is a little more difficult, but, still, not so much.

Still...

I gotta say:

I just don't see how anyone who voted for Bush and isn't rich can be well-informed.

I'm sorry. I had to say it.

I'm not even a Democrat. Or a Republican, though. I don't identify with either party.

I actually liked some things about both Bush Sr. and Reagan, and, as much as I liked, and still do like, Clinton, I do believe that Lewinsky-gate DID hurt the country and actually helped Bush defeat both Gore and Kerry.

But W???

There's nothing there, folks.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone. I don't mean to, but, there really isn't anything there with that one.

I wish there was, because it would be more easy for me to look forward to politics in these next four years.

I don't blame anyone for feeling some connection to Bush in some way, though. That's the beauty of democracy. Anyone can vote for a candidate for whatever reasons. He IS similar (on the surface) to a lot of the people that voted for him, apparently.

All you have to do is throw out his millionaire status and his tax cuts for other millionaires, his lack of employment until age 4o, his (during which he apparently partied and....nothing else) and....wait.

Aren't those some pretty large differences?

But, yes, a huge part of politics is that connection, and Bush makes it with more people than most politicians.

That's the brains behind the Bush operation. They knew that they could touch on what those large groups of Americans value in a very simple, many even heartfelt, way, while completely pulling the wool over their eyes about the actual issues that will affect them and their children.

How many of them can afford health insurance?

How many of them are going to have social security?

How many of them are sent overseas, or will soon be, to die for a Bush family vendetta?

I guess it must be comforting for some of them if they really think they have their next-door neighbor in the White House.

I actually convinced a friend of mine that he'd been deceived.

Too late for everyone else.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home