Sunday, December 12, 2004

In Between Shows

We had two "Droods" last night and we just did the first of two today.

Speaking of which, I gave a video of my stuff to the title character of the show, and she seemed to be geniunely impressed. She, in turn, gave me a CD of a song she wrote and performed which is quite good.

It was a little odd, though, b/c when I first bumped into her after she'd seen my video, if I had to guess, it seemed like she had a negative reaction...

However, when I had the chance to talk to her, it was apparent that she was impressed, and that what I was noticing was another example of the all-too-natural competitiveness between performers. Kind of a looking-at-me-sideways thing, if you know what I mean. She was clearly positive about what she'd seen. She even used the term 'genius instrumentalism'.

But I've gotten the negative-seeming vibe at times since I was, I don't know, 15 or so and learning to play guitar stuff like Joe Satriani and Van Halen and stuff like that. From 13 or so until maybe 17, I was the kid that played better than I was supposed to and stuff like that. It still suprises me to look at where I started artistically and where I am at this point.

I mean, I'm 26, and for a couple of years now, I've mean making this more 'high-brow', 'serious' kind of music...on solo PIANO, which I've never had lessons for to speak of.

Quite an unusual turn of events, it seems. I actually can't begin to think of anyone who's had the same path. It's not better or worse, but I would say it is definitely quite unusual.

In the meantime, I'm cooking up a few more promotional ideas, and I've been wanting to write another newsletter for a while now, but I'd like to get some things firmed up first. Maybe I should start it anyway.

I'll be sending it out to more people this time, too, including some people from my summer at Opera Theatre, as well as people from last fall at The Rep.

That's about it for now. I'm going to eat something and then go back over to the theatre at 6 something for the 7 pm show.


2 Comments:

Blogger KENNY said...

Thanks for the offer. That's actually way up there on my list of priorities. I'd like to get them digitized and then come up with some kind of template for my webpage and put up one or two pieces. I'd like to do that within the next few weeks, even, so that it can tie in with concert promotion and etc.

4:07 PM  
Blogger KENNY said...

I've actually found some detailed instructions. It seems pretty doable on either a PC or a MAC, but you need to have Adobe Premiere.

Actually, the process apparently works a little better on a MAC.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home