Wednesday, April 06, 2005

update?

I didn't think it would take this long. A lot has happened, too.

Last Thursday, for example, was quite nearly insane.

I had an interview with the Suburban Journal [the article, which is about me, the Lupus Foundation, and the concert, comes out in the South County journal today] on Thursday morning. I woke up at around 7:30am, after I'd slept fitfully for about 4 hours, after I'd been up for 30!

The interview was at 10am at the paper's offices, so I left early, but was still a little late b/c the place is so hard to get to. It was pretty crazy. I didn't want to be late, of course, for these busy. busy press people.

It was fine, though. I showed her a short video of me performing, and she seemed to really respond to it positively. I figured she'd ask me a few questions and then send me on my merry way. I assumed as much, and actually counted on it b/c I was due at Webster by 11:30 or so to perform in the recital at noon.

Well, she interviewed me for over an hour. We covered almost everything that's ever happened to me in my entire life. OK, I'm kidding. But we covered a lot, which is great, but I just kept getting more and more nervous as time went on b/c I was due back at Webster.

So, at 11:30 we were finished. I figured I was fine in terms of time b/c it wasn't far from campus and I had good directions. Then I hit a detour.

This detour took me through New Orleans before I finally got back on the right track. I really was on streets I'd NEVER been on before. At this point, I really was thinking I was going to miss the performance.

But I got back on the right track, and figured I'd be late but that I'd still get to play, probably. Then I couldn't find a parking spot. Anywhere. I drove all over most of the campus, and I finally found one. It was after 12, and I was running to the music building with my dress clothes in my arms. I got in the building and a lot of people were looking for me. I told them where I was and I got dressed. Fast. Then, I went to the recital hall, and it turns out I was actually on time anyway because I was at the end of the program.

So, I got to stand around for a good 45 seconds, think about what I was going to play for about 4 of those seconds, and then go out in front of the audience, who, much to my suprise, were pretty enthusiastic when I came out.

I performed "The Mystique Factor", at times feeling very close to crashing and burning b/c of the exhaustion, the craziness of the day so far, and an emotionally stressful week just in general. But, I pulled it together, and the audience was actually so responsive to it that it really suprised me. So much so that I don't think I did a very good job with my bows and my curtain call. I'll have to fix that for next time.

That was just Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home