Tuesday, September 06, 2005

calling on a friend...well, not really a FRIEND...

It looks like I'll be performing at this NAACP banquet in Nashville next month. It's for the anniversary of the Bill of Rights. There's a bit of nepotism, though: My uncle Michael is organizing it. But he didn't mention it or ask me to do it until he saw a video of me performing.

We're talking about coming up with something interesting to send to the people in Music Square down there, including Ben Folds, who is one of my very favorite artists, but it's a $50 a plate event...but, who knows? Maybe we'll reach some people who are intrigued by both the cause and the...me...to show up.

There's a possible problem: My uncle Michael has asked my uncle Joe to shape the whole evening into something more 'theatrical', and it seems that Joe may have an idea or two that would mess with how I normally approach things.

But I think if I make myself clear enough about how I do things, it'll be fine. I just have to be firm, I guess.

Also, I'm going to have to have a strong sound set-up for the first time ever. That's another possible problem. I may just have to hire somebody who really knows how to mic up a piano. It would suck to do it and not be heard particularly well...but I don't know how probable that really is...

But, you see, this in and of itself is enough reason to get in touch with Ben Folds. Being a pop/rock piano guy, he's played thousands of times all over the world. Granted, most of that time, he's taken his own piano with him, but there have been times where he's had to rent one and get it miked up. I'll be playing the piano that they have in the convention room at the hotel and get it miked up.

We'll see what happens. It would be pretty cool to get some advice from him about it.

So, we made our whirlwind trip through Nashville and visited with family. Always an interesting experience. I'm catching up on sleep and I'll be running around campus today taking care of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home