Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Things are moving along

I've made progress on the back cover of the CD, finally. I think I've arrived at the most fitting thing to use for it, so, that's good. My brother Matt also gave me a tip on the layout.

Speaking of which, my brothers Matt and Nick, The Mans, as their group is called, have made a new EP called Music for the Long Walk Home. It's very good! They recorded it in roughly three weeks by themselves. The website's going to re-launch in the New Year, so go check it out, bookmark it, and keep your eyes open in the future for it: http://www.the-mans.com.

So things are moving along design-wise, which is a relief because there really is a large checklist of things to be done before "A Piano Saga" can be manufactured. Fortunately, the hardest and most important element, the actual recording, is finished. Chelsea is going to master it sometime over the next month and that will be that.

We're making the CD one side DVD, and, we still have to do some shooting, editing, and mixing for that. But I'm very close to making a crucial decision about that which might make that process simpler. It's an idea that's pretty crazy, as far as I'm concerned at least, but crazy enough that I might do it. Guess you'll have to see!!

But we'll be doing all of the additional shooting for the DVD from next Monday until Wednesday, thanks to my friend Jeff who works in technology at Webster. Thanks of him, I can actually do this!

I'm also very happy to say that writing is officially underway for the NEXT cd. Not "A Piano Saga", which is my completed debut, but, my sophomore effort, as it were. There's a ways to go, but I did both start AND finish a new piece over the last few days. I'm pretty excited about it. This brings the official total of completed pieces likely to make the next album to 4. However, there are numerous other pieces in the pipeline, all of which stand a good chance at making it, 3 in particular

It took a while to start seriously thinking about new material again. After April 14th of this year [the date of my last full-length concert and what became the recording of "A Piano Saga"], I was worn-out and I was looking forward to a solid two weeks before starting over at Opera Theatre of St. Louis. But it turned out that they needed me before then. So, I'd already started the season off in a way which was not good or healthy for me at all. As of now, I don't want to work there again.

So from then on, for about 10 weeks, I was often exhausted, frustrated, occasionally physically compromised, and so on. Two or three days after the Opera season ended, one of my cousins died, and so we had to leave early for a wedding of ANOTHER one of my cousins in DC. We had to go to Nashville first for the funeral, then Washington DC for the wedding, all by car, and drive back. A couple thousand miles of travel, little sleep, great stress.

By the middle of July, I finally started to relax. But I must say that I can see now that it all took a toll on me that I didn't really start to bounce back from [at least emotionally] until...well, I don't know, sometime over the Fall.

So, the point is, I'm in a good place to write in earnest again. I've been writing all along, but now I can make a point of doing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home